Friday, March 26, 2010

Artist # 8 Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol always comes up in classes, but I never really knew what his art was about. I have seen a few pictures of some of his work and know that he is a pop artist, but still didn't really know what that meant, or what the point of his work was.

After reading about him I learned that his work was about mass advertising and media. People retained their information from the media, TV, print, and images. His work was not about time, or conveying a certain light, or anything really deep. One of the most famous pieces he's known for are his soup cans. There are thirty-two of them. I read that they are about sameness: same size, same paint surface, same fame as product. (From American Visions by Robert Hughes)
He worked with different mediums such as paint, photographs and film. He was also talented in writing, publishing, television and music. (Andy Warhol)

I understand that he generated all these paintings and photos of really advertised objects and people, but I still don't really understand it. I don't see how he became so famous for doing these things. I honestly don't really like it, or I guess connect with any of it. It doesn't produce any emotions except confusion.

When I searched Andy Warhol in Google Images, these are the first ones that came up:




His paintings of Marylin Monroe and his Campbell soup cans are of his most famous pieces. Others came up that I have never seen before such as this banana and oranges. His work is very colorful and very repetitive. In his paintings of Marylin Monroe, there isn't just one of her, there's many of her. In his work of Mickey Mouse, it's the same way. There are four Mickey's on one page. I think this ties in with the advertising and showing this person who everyone knows and sees all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment