Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Proposals

So, I couldn't really come up with a good way to portray my idea for this last assignment. When we had to tell our ideas to the class, I didn't really know what to say, but I did say something. Everyone seemed like they knew what they wanted to do and had groups already established. After all the ideas were announced, Veiko asked if I wanted to work with him. I was a little relieved that I wouldn't be working on my own and presenting my proposal alone.

He had an idea to do something with toys, more specifically dolls. He wanted to cut them in half and have them sitting in jars. (Like they're being preserved). I was a little confused and we were sure how we would make it work, so we tried to think of other things we could cut in half. (We like that idea). We thought of using old shoes. At first the idea was to portray migration and people who migrated to the U.S. We would mount the shoes, cut in half, on the wall and have a short version of their story. We wanted to use all different kinds of shoes though, so we realized it couldn't be base on migration. We decided to try and get all different shoes, baby shoes, high heels, sneakers, etc. donated and display them. We would have a short story of a significant event or something that happened in those shoes. It would be like telling this person's life story with their shoe. We thought that cutting them in half was a really interesting way to look at the shoe and let you see inside of it. You don't normally, or ever, see a shoe cut in half. Veiko was working in a workshop where there was a blade that he could cut the shoes easily in half, so that wouldn't be a problem.

The day we had to present our proposals came, and I was a little nervous after hearing other student's ideas. At the same time I heard some ideas that I didn't like at all, or didn't see the point that got chosen for the project. Anyways, Veiko made some really great visuals of the shoes to show while we explained our idea. I honestly wasn't really passionate about our proposal and wasn't too surprised when ours wasn't chosen. I joined up with the group doing the liquid stains on the napkins. I wanted to do a few others too, but people joined on pretty fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment