Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Artist # 28 Frank Lloyd Wright

Frank Lloyd is an architect/designer, but he doesn't just build normal houses like you would expect. His houses are very unique. They're located in the Chicago area. When I saw one picture of one of his houses, I loved it.



I would definitely say that Wright is a sculpture also. He thinks about the surrounding area and how he can utilize that space with his structure. This house looked like it was just placed in the middle of nature and it sort of was. It's called Flowing Water and at first I was a little confused, until I saw this picture:



It's basically the same picture, the second one just shows much more water flowing through and it catches my attention better. I read that this house resembles a Japanese Shinto temple. There are different aspects that give it that resemblance. On the second floor there is open sleeping porches. I think the house is beautiful and I love the design. His houses are not to make the owners feel trapped inside a box, but to live comfortably and ideally.



This house makes me kind of nervous when I look at it. I don't like those houses that are built on hills and part of the house is on stilts and this reminds me of that. I wouldn't like standing out on the balcony, it would be kind of scary. Frank Wright's designs were really out there and he really went for it. It would be pretty nerve wrecking to build some of his designs because of the locations that they're in. The insides of some of the homes are just as crazy as the outside.



Here the house has this intruding rock coming into it. It was part of Wrights plans and sketches, crazy enough. I would never think to build a house around a rock. I wouldn't really want the rock in my kitchen like that either, but someone did, maybe does, live in this house. I like the rest of it though. I like the ziz-zag design of the skylights above. I'm sure the rest of the inside of the house looks really cool and innovative also.

No comments:

Post a Comment