Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Artist # 30 Thomas Kinkade

I know there is a lot of controversy with Thomas Kinkade and whether or not he's a real artist. I honestly don't care too much about it and since I just went to the gallery I thought I would end my artists with him.



I think that Thomas Kinkade started off as a real artist, just trying to make a living. I watched a video about him last year and learned a little bit more. I learned that he is trying to make wholesome family images. His paintings are to represent family values and morals. I think he went off the deep end when he started mass printing his paintings, and hiring people to make finishing touches on them. That makes it not real art to me. If it's a print and then not even the artist is adding just a few highlights here and there, to give it texture and what not, it's definitely not an original anymore.

He has paintings of all different scenes. The nice cozy winter scenes:


Castles:

London at sunset:


There's many more too.
When I think of a Kinkade, I think of this:


The cozy little cottage in with the cobblestone pathway in the woods. His paintings are pleasing to look at, but they get overwhelming. After being in the Thomas Kinkade gallery, I had enough. It almost gets to be sickening. They're just too perfect. I don't want to really bash him or anything, because I really don't have that strong of an opinion, but I can only look at a few of his paintings at a time.

I don't like how he decided to start printing his pictures on other things like couches, mugs, pillows, lights, etc. He sells more than just his paintings and it's really become a business. I think that it takes away completely from being an artist. He's not really personally making anything anymore, it's just all mass produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment