Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Artist # 3 Georgia O'Keeffe

I've heard of her name, and must have learned about her sometime, but didn't really know anything about Georgia O'Keeffe. I decided to research her because today someone in class said that they really liked the colors in her flowers. I love flowers and colors so I wanted to see these. I don't want to say that I was disappointed when I looked through some pictures, but I wasn't blown away. I was expecting really beautiful paintings of flowers, and honestly I don't think that Georgia O'Keeffe's flowers are that beautiful. They are colorful, but something just isn't connecting with me and her paintings.

I enough to see that there is controversary whether or not there is female sexuality meanings behind her paintings. I didn't like that, but I also read it's not true. Georgia O'Keeffe liked to paint things, such as her flowers, larger than life to bring emphasis on the object. She wanted the viewer to see deep into her subject. If I never heard about the female sexuality then I would never have thought that when I look at her flowers. I like the colors she uses, they're bright and eye catching, but at the same time they're typical. Maybe i'm being a little too critical, but sometimes you just don't feel anything when you look at pieces of work and that's how I feel when looking at Georgia O'Keeffes flowers.

I came across a painting that was different from her other subjects (I just searched images on google). It was this painting.
I thought that this painting was much different from the others that I saw. I noticed that it did have a flower on the scull, so that was similar, but nothing else. I wondered why she would paint this scull with a flower. It seems complete opposite to pretty colorful flowers, to paint a scull. I read that she really like the desert area, because of where she lived and would paint sculls that she found on her walks through the desert. This is still a little weird and different from her other paintings, but I understand why now. I guess it's just like painting anything you find. Here are a few more pictures of paintings that I liked the most.





I'm not saying in this that I don't think that Georgia O'Keeffe was not talented, because obviously she was very talented. I just didn't really get emotion out of the paintings, and I think that you should get an emotion from a piece of work. I know that others really like her paintings and style so I don't want to disrespect that. I will end with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment