Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Artist # 4 Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen

I only heard of Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen in class when we saw a slide of their work. I decided to look at more of it and see what I thought. Their work is large scale regular objects, clothespin, tools, umbrella, spoon, balls, etc. I don't really get it when I see it. I think a few of them are interesting because of the placement.

The spoon is over water, and I think it's actually titled Spoonbridge and Cherry. The cherry is really random to me. You don't eat cherries with spoons, so why did they place this cherry on this spoon? Also why did they place it over the water? Many of their other pieces are just in fields so why this one over water? I don't know if it was named first or after, but if they're like me, it would have been named after. It is very possible that it was named before, so then the water would be a significant part. At least that's what I think of when I hear bridge. I think of a bridge over water.


For some reason I like this sculpture. It's such a nothing object, but the size of it makes it interesting. I've seen clothespins before, but this one looks way different just because it's huge. When it's standing up like this it also seems to give it a different meaning and actually just looks like a sculpture and not a clothespin. The placement is interesting also, because it's in the middle of office buildings.


I really didn't like a few of the sculptures. I didn't get them at all, and they didn't really intrigue me to get to know them and the meaning behind it. One of them is the piece of pie on top of a ball. It's pictured here:

This sculpture doesn't look that realistic, it looks more shiny and plastic. I'm not sure what they were going for with this one, but I just don't like it. I also don't like the ice cream cone on the corner of a building. It's the same thing. Not too realistic, which I don't think is what they were looking for because of the sizes of the sculptures. They are much much bigger than the real objects. So there is definitely some emphasis or meaning on the sizes they choose.

I couldn't make anything like these sculptures though, so i'm not saying their bad, I just don't see the meaning. Is there even supposed to be a meaning?

1 comment: