Sunday, February 7, 2010

January 7-Superbowl Sunday

So today was the Superbowl...obviously. I'm not a huge football fan, but my boyfriend is so inevitably I have to watch it. Because he loves it and I like it, but am not crazy about it, I end up going for the same teams that he loves. Unfortunately his team, Greenbay, didn't make it, neither did his favorite player's team, The Vikings. Because of that we didn't really care who won this game, but I started rooting for the Saints, in the beginning, because it was their first time being in the Superbowl and I always like that. They ended up winning too! (My team always wins). We made some yummy guacamole, delicious chocolate cupcakes with the confetti frosting (my favorite!), ordered some pizza and had soda...this day is meant for unhealthy food!

This last summer I worked for APX, it's an alarm company that my boyfriend works for, and we actually get to go on a cruise with the company leaving this next Friday! (Eating unhealthy reminded me of this, because we'll be doing a lot of that on the trip and need to work out a lot this week!) I'm sooo excited! It's a free cruise to Jamaica and Haiti. I know, I'm going to be one of those vacationers on the beach in Haiti, that didn't get ruined, while there's so much devastation going on there. Our trip has been booked for a long time and so there was nothing we could do about the earthquake situation. We're cruising with Royal Caribbean and one of their port-of-calls is Labadee, Haiti. There was a lot of controversy whether or not they should keep going there with everything that happened, but they decided to keep going. The cruise line has helped by bringing supplies, people and money to the country. The leaders of the country encouraged them to keep coming to help stimulate the economy there, and if you think about it there's suffering in all poor countries, it's just that Haiti has suffered more because of this natural disaster. I still feel kind of guilty for going, but it's a free cruise and so what can we do!? I think we actually got an e-mail saying that if you want you can help with relief work somehow while we're there, so that would actually be really cool. Labadee is also on the north end of Haiti, away from the capital and area that was completely ruined. I'm really interested to see what it will be like and what kind of experiences we'll have there. We're also going to Jamaica, which i'm very excited for. I've honestly been craving these beaches!


This will be me! haha..


..and this will be one of my favorite parts, watching the sunset go down over the water every night! Whether we're on the beach, or on the ship, it will be amazing!


On a different subject, i'm getting really close to being done with my structure for class Tuesday. I started adding my skin, which is a lot harder than I thought. I'm using silicon and it's not as easy to work with as I imagined. I think the way i'm using it is going along with my whole structure though. It's kind of messy and "organic" in a way, even though i'm using metal and what not. I want it to be that way though. I usually am a perfectionist and like things very neat and not messy at all, but with this assignment it's different. It's been really hard for me not to just change to something that will be perfect looking, but it's been a challenge to try something different, and I like it. I need to write my artist statement still too. I think i'm going to title my piece either, "Triangles" or something along the lines of that. I made different triangle shapes, not really on purpose, but there ended up being quite a few of them in my structure, so those are the shapes i'm using to add my skin to. I'm leaving everything else empty. I hope it all works out and i'll have to put a picture on here of the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment