Monday, March 29, 2010

Artist # 10 Kiki Smith



Kiki Smith's work seems very odd. Some of it is kind of disturbing too. I looked up her images in google and these came up:






All of these images made me question her work and what they were about. The girl hanging is all white except for black thread mixed in with her hair and a little bit on her dress. When I think of white, I think of purity, clean, innocent, etc. So I'm thinking this girl is representing those things, maybe more so innocence. Then she has black mixed in like she has been ruined, her innocence is no longer there. She's also hanging, dead. I think the black is representing that; maybe death, or just more evil coming into her life.

The other pieces were weird and I didn't really see something in them like I did with this girl. The person with it's feet in the deer is really weird and gross. I don't like looking at it. Because I wasn't understanding the rest of her work I read more about her. I found this here, "The recurrent subject matter in Smith’s work has been the body as a receptacle for knowledge, belief, and storytelling." In that article, it also talked about her work telling folk tales, or classical mythology. I'll assume the deer and person were in one of those categories.

Kiki Smith has won numerous awards for her work. Her pieces are also displayed in well known museums. She doesn't only work with sculpture, but is also talented in printmaking. Even though she has these awards and I know she's talented at what she does, I don't know if I would want to go and see her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment