Friday, April 2, 2010

Artist # 13 Anish Kapoor

I've seen a couple of Anish Kapoor's sculptures before and didn't quite understand them. I saw Cloud Gate and Sky Mirror.

I didn't see them in person, just through a different art class. I believe that Sky Mirror is about the world around it. It reflects the buildings all around it upside down. It's in Rockefeller center in New York City, so it's offering a view of downtown New York City upside down. It's made of polished stainless steel so it's very shiny. When I look at it, it reminds me of a contact lens. That also works for the piece, because a contact lens has to do with viewing parts of the world too. Cloud Gate seems to have the same function. It's giving a distorted reflection of Chicago's skyline and the land that the piece is sitting on. It reminds me of one of those mirrors that distorts your image and makes you look funny. This sculpture is making the city look funny.



I think Kapoor's work is mainly about the space around the sculpture. He creates a piece like this modern looking one and then makes it so it can interact with the space that it's in. To me there doesn't seem much more to it than that. I'm not a huge fan of Anish Kapoor, but it is a little bit different, more modern looking that I do like.

No comments:

Post a Comment