Friday, February 5, 2010

Extra Credit: Bay Windows

I attended the reception for the Bay Windows in the Student Union Building on campus. I really had no idea what it was, but wanted to go check it out. I walked around the building trying to find these "windows" and wasn't finding anything. I asked someone and he said, "oh those are them," pointing at two large rectangles coming out from the wall with paintings inside. I guess they used to be windows, and were left that way with the new add-on to the building. There were only a few people there when I was there and I felt pretty weird because i've never gone to one of these things before. Also when I first looked at the paintings I honestly didn't like them. I was wondering what they were and why someone chose to paint them. After I read the little plaque about what they represented it made a lot more sense and I could see that. I liked the painting on the left more. The man flying away on his own represented going and finding new ideas and venturing away from the pack. I liked that. The colors were kind of interesting, orange for the sky i'm assuming and then blues and red for the planes.

After awhile more people showed up, a lot more people, I had no idea there were these events. The food was good, especially the brownies :). They announced the request for proposals for round 2 of the Bay Windows. There are two more that are going to be filled in by another artist and the competition for that is starting. I was given one of the sign up packets, but I don't think i'll be entering. I didn't take any pictures so I can't really post anything else about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment